Upgrade from Version 6.6.x (6.6.0 - 6.6.1) to Version 6.7.3
Please use the information below to upgrade from Version 6.6.x (6.6.0, 6.6.1, or 6.6.1 with Feature Pack 1) to Version 6.7.3.
- Prior to installing the software, please make sure that you meet the Version 6.7.3 Requirements.
- Review the Preparations required to set up the web and database servers.
- Review the Upgrade Preparation section to find out how the upgrade will affect your Version 6.6.x data.
- Review the Known Limitations (recently discovered issues) in the latest release.
- Upgrade your installation. This procedure assumes that you are installing NetResults Tracker Version 6.7.3 on the same machine where you have NetResults Tracker 6.6.x installed. If you are installing NetResults Tracker Version 6.7.3 on a different machine than where you have NetResults Tracker 6.6.x installed, please use the following Move and Upgrade KB article for instructions.
This section provides information about changes from version 6.6.x to 6.7.3.
Getting to Know Version 6.7.3
You can learn about what's new in Version 6.7.3 by reading the Features and Fixes pages. You can also request a Personal Live Trial on our web site. Within one business day we will set up a workgroup exclusively for your use on one of our web servers. All you need is a web browser.
Configuration Changes to Make Prior to Upgrade
There are no configuration changes you need to make prior to upgrade. The only thing you need to do prior to upgrade is to make a backup of your installation.
Changes Made by the Upgrade
When a chart is run on the Home or Metrics pages when Java is not enabled or supported by the browser, the chart will be displayed as a table.
The applet used to generate charts in Tracker has been signed to comply with the requirements for using newer versions of Java. When you run a chart, a message will be displayed asking if you would like to run the application (chart). You can check a box to keep this message from being displayed again in the future and click Run to see the chart. For more information about how to set up Java and your browser to run Tracker charts, please review this Knowledge Base article.
The color scheme and icons used in NetResults Tracker are upgraded to a modern "flat" user interface consistent with the latest versions of Microsoft Windows, Apple Mac OS & iOS, and Google Android. This is done by installing a new set of icons and adding a new Version 6 Flat Theme to Color Preferences. If you prefer your Color Preferences as they were before upgrade, login to the workgroup as Admin and change the Theme setting in Color Preferences to Before Upgrade and click OK. If you would like to try some slight variations on the new Version 6 Flat theme (or any other built-in theme, including Before Upgrade) you can do so without losing those settings. In this release, any changes made to a built-in theme will be saved as (Modified), so you can switch back to any of the built-in themes (e.g. Version 6 Flat, Desert, Before Upgrade, etc.) at any time.
The order of the icons in the Button Bar has been changed to better group similar operations together. All of the record level operations (Add, View, Task, Edit, Discuss, Delete) are now grouped together and all of the reporting operations (Search/Query, Metrics, History) are grouped together. We've found this accelerates the learning curve for new users. If desired, the order can be changed back to how it was before the upgrade by logging in as Admin, clicking on the Admin icon, clicking on the General Preferences link, changing the Button Bar Ordering option to "Legacy" and clicking OK to save the changes.
If the Display Field Help options in General Preferences were configured to display a yellow question mark next to each field (on View or Add/Edit/Task or Submit page), the yellow icons are no longer displayed and users can now get Field Help by simply hovering over the Field Label (instead of hovering on the yellow icon). If you had disabled Field Help or were using one of the options to always display Field Help (the default), there is no change in how Field Help is displayed after upgrade.
If you are using the Submit Page for Unregistered Users, a new privilege, Add via Submit Page, has been added and enabled for all user groups selected in the Unregistered User Options in General Preferences to maintain backward compatibility. This new privilege allows finer grain control over which Projects/Forms are available on the Submit Page for adding new records or linking to existing records.
- Login to the web server machine as a local Administrator.
- Prior to installing NetResults Tracker Version 6.7.3, block all of your workgroups via the Workgroup Management System (WMS) while you perform the upgrade. To end any active sessions and block a workgroup:
- Login to WMS and click on the Admin icon
- Select the option Block / Unblock Workgroups, then click on the Continue button
- Check the box in the upper left corner of the workgroups list to select all workgroups, then click on the Block button. If the select all checkbox is not available in your version, select a workgroup, then click on the Block button. Repeat this to block each workgroup.
- BACKUP ALL OF YOUR NetResults Tracker DATABASES AND ATTACHMENT FILES BEFORE PROCEEDING. Instructions for backing up your installation can be found here. If you are using a virtual machine, take a snapshot. It is REQUIRED that you either copy the database file(s) and attachment files to a safe place (Access only), perform a backup (Access, SQL Server or Oracle) or take a snapshot. UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES IS NETRESULTS RESPONSIBLE FOR THE LOSS OF ANY DATA AS THE RESULT OF THE UPGRADE PROCESS.
- Temporarily disable any anti-virus software. This is recommended so that your anti-virus software does not prevent the installation program or the Workgroup Management System (WMS) from performing operations such as copying files, running scripts, configuring your web server, setting file permissions and registry entries. Your anti-virus software can be reactivated safely after you have completed the installation steps and any necessary WMS configuration.
- In Windows Explorer, right click on the installation setup program nrtee673.exe (NetResults Tracker Enterprise Edition 6.7.3) and select "Run as Administrator". Enter the corresponding password, if prompted. The installation program will stop and restart the IIS web server as part of the installation. Please note as of 6.7, all installations use the Enterprise Edition package so that you can enable the Enterprise Edition features with additional license keys
- When the installation setup program has finished, you will be asked to reboot your system. You must reboot your system before proceeding to the next step.
- Login to the Workgroup Management System (WMS) by going to Start > Programs > NetResults Tracker > Workgroup Management System. Click on the Admin icon on the Button bar.
- Select the option "Upgrade workgroups from versions 4.x / 5.x / 6.x to NetResults Tracker 6.7.3", then click on the Continue button. A list of workgroups that need to be upgraded to 6.7.3 will be displayed in a pulldown field. Select a workgroup to be upgraded and click on the Upgrade Workgroup button. Click OK to confirm. You will be prompted to upgrade the workgroup data. Click on the Continue button, click on the Upgrade Data button, then click OK to confirm. Once the workgroup has been updated, click OK to return to the Administration menu.
- Repeat step 8 for each workgroup to be upgraded.
- Re-activate your anti-virus software.
Your system has now been upgraded to Version 6.7.3 for all workgroups.